Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Not Mine


I have been reading a lot in the last few weeks about teens and drugs. I feel that I have a responsibility to learn as much as I can about signs and about how teens get into drugs and why. A lot of what I read is parents who think that it will never happen to their teens or kids. I must admit, I am a parent who falls into this category. One of the things that I always try to tell our teens is that someone is always watching you. As a parent I must realize that someone is watching me as well, my kids, our youth.
I have read story after story of kids trying to imitate their parents smoking habits, or drinking habits, trying to be like who they look up too, only to have it back fire on them.
There is a high likelihood that your teen and mine, will be exposed to drugs and alcohol, and there is a good chance that they will try drugs. Why?
Most teens don't think that they will become addicted, and simply use drugs or alcohol to have a good time and be more like their friends. Most teens who are addicted won't see a problem with their behavior or their drug use. For some teens drugs make them feel good, and are a way to relieve the stress of school, problems at home, disagreements with friends, and other pressures of growing up.
What can I do as a parent or someone who works with teens? I think that we must show them that we care and that we love them and encourage them to make wise decisions. I also as a parent must keep the lines of communication open. As a parent I must talk to my kids about drugs. I must let my teen know that it is my business who they are "chillin" with, and "hangen" with and who they are "texting."
We must remember that being a teenager is often a confusing and challenging time, which can make teens vulnerable to falling into a destructive pattern of drug use.
I have been talking lately to our youth group about the effects of drug and alcohol and other addictive things. I pray that as we visit about all sorts of peer pressure's that our teens face, that we can have some type of impact on all of them. It is amazing the things that our teens face in this world today. I pray for all of them, and I ask that you pray for the youth of the community and church that you are in. Remember these teens are the ones that will someday lead our cities, our counties, or towns, our country and our churches. Say a special prayer for them today.

1 comment:

jerry said...

Keep the challenge in front of the teens. We live in one of the top 3 counties in OK here for Meth use. Because of the media our teens see, video games, movies and TV, they are desensitized to many realities, especially that of drug use. I am able to use some of the former meth users who worship with us to come and share how the drugs destroyed their dreams. You are correct - none of them ever sat in class in high school and said, "i am gonna be addicted to drugs in my life" Great post.

keep praying, seeking, serving and fighting for the teens!!!

jerry