Thursday, May 13, 2010

Memories

(Mr Potato Head! His parts came off, and you could change his looks. There was also a Mrs. Potato Head)
After reading Trey Morgans blog today, about what we remember about church when we were kids, got me to thinking a lot about memories tonight. I posted a some what long comment on Trey's blog about what I remember church being when I was a kid. One thing that I remember most was that "church" began in our congregation after we were all dismissed from the building. We were such a close group. Even after Cheryl and I were married and attending there was the same. There were no programs in place to try to make us get closer, we just were because we enjoyed each other and wanted to know each other better.

Anyway, that got me to thinking about other memories of long ago. One memory that I will never forget as long as I live is, my dad walking to the front of the church and taking me out, because I was talking and messing around during the sermon. A week later when I woke up and all the bleeding was stopped I was impressed with my dads strength.

Another memory is when I was very young, like in the 3rd grade or so. We lived on the farm North of Bovina, dad was farming and raising cattle and horses. I remember we had a lot of cattle in a pen. I decided to crawl over the 6 foot pipe fence into another area. The panel I climbed on fell over on me and hit me in the head, and knocked me out. I remember waking up and my dad was carrying me to the house through our trees. I remember feeling safe and thinking everything was going to be OK. I was in the hospital for several days with a concussion. My cousins brought me a "Mr. Potato Head" (how many of you remember a Mr. Potato Head?) to play with while I was in the hospital. Another cousin brought me a stuffed Monkey, that I called Snubby!!

I loved living on the farm when I was a kid. I remember my dog, "dot" she was a bird dog, and another dog "rusty" was a cow dog. I remember both of them running in the tall wheat fields, jumping up every once in a while to see where they were at. I remember my dad getting so mad at them when they would jump in his irrigation ditch to cool off during the summer. I remember my dad teaching me how to "set tubes" out of an irrigation ditch, and how to adjust them just right. I remember sitting in our back yard and watching the spray pilot spray the corn behind our house. At each pass I thought he was going to go right through our house. I still love to watch spray planes spray crops.

I remember a friend of mine that lived a few miles from us, Steven McCleran. Dad would let me drive my Grandads old 1962 model Chevy pickup around the farm. I did this when I was like in the 4Th grade, farm living was GREAT!! Anyway, that old pickups break fluid leaked. Dad always said, before you drive it make sure you check the break fluid. Well Steven and I drove it to his house one day, and yip, NO break fluid. Drove it right into his house. Put two holes in his parents house. His parents were not home at the time, I remember us thinking that we would drive to California. We decided not too, and ended up hoeing cotton for most of the summer to pay for the damage to the house.

I remember getting mad at my sister because she would not play baseball with me. Just as she walked into the house, I hurled a dirt clod at her, hit her on the back of the leg. It was an amazing throw, from a good distance. Dad did not see it that way. Again when I woke up later, I was impressed with dad's strength.

Well I could go on and on. Maybe more later, lots of memories from living on the farm. We moved to town when I was in the 6Th grade. Lots of memories from town living as well, but maybe later.

15 comments:

Ken Gauntt said...

Great memories. Keep posting them.

Unknown said...

How beautiful you live!
I wish all the best for you and your family

lunette de soleil cartier said...

wow.so nice post,thanks a lot.

Closet Organizer said...

Good efforts. All the best for future posts. I have bookmarked you. Well done. I read and like this post. Thanks.

Good quality tankless said...

Thanks for showing up such fabulous information. I have bookmarked you and will remain in line with your new posts. I like this post, keep writing and give informative post...!

Best massage chair said...

The post is very informative. It is a pleasure reading it. I have also bookmarked you for checking out new posts.

Solar Power Toronto said...

Thanks for writing in such an encouraging post. I had a glimpse of it and couldn’t stop reading till I finished. I have already bookmarked you.

Party supplies gta said...

The post is handsomely written. I have bookmarked you for keeping abreast with your new posts.

Party supplies gta said...

The post is handsomely written. I have bookmarked you for keeping abreast with your new posts.

veterinarians in brampton said...

It is a pleasure going through your post. I have bookmarked you to check out new stuff from your side.

LOVESEX said...

this very funny

togoh said...

haha! mr potatohead is so cool! :D

movingon said...

DId your father give you concussions?

college papers said...

I love to see your blog lots of effort on this blog thanks for sharing God bless you.

bubblegum casting said...

ahhh