Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What About Bob?

There are things that you see in your life sometimes that just amaze you. I have been working with our youth for a couple of years now. I must admit that at times I have been frustrated thinking, "are we really doing any good here, are we getting through to these teens." Then one of them does something that really makes you proud.

I first meet Bob Sunday morning at our church, when you first look at Bob you can tell right away that he has not shaved in a while and probably has not taken a shower in a while. See Bob is homeless, but he came to Tulia and to our church Sunday morning for a reason. Our church put Bob up in a local motel Saturday night and Sunday night. I went and picked up Bob on Monday morning and we had some coffee and talked. Bob started telling my his story. He was living in New Mexico. Bob has had some tough times in his life, and he would tell you that a lot of those tough times were brought on by some of his choices, no one elses. Bob decided one day that he was tired of living around drugs and alcohol and decided to leave his home and look for answers in his life from God. Bob ended up in the mountains of Colorado. He was living off of ramond noodles, living in a tent, sleeping on the ground. Bob told me in his words, "I was ready to give up and just die, but then Phillip walked into my camp." Phillip is a member of our youth group here at Central Church of Christ. Phillip talked to Bob each day that they were there and him and his family helped feed Bob each day, see Phillip and his family were on vacation in the mountains when they came across Bob. During their conversations, Phillip told Bob, "if you want to go some where and get help, you should come to Tulia to our church and they will help you." Bob hitchhiked from Colorado to Tulia over about two weeks and worshiped with us Sunday morning and then ate with us at our pot luck.

It is Wednesday and Bob is still in town, I went and picked Bob up and he came to church with us tonight. I thank everyone from our church that welcomed Bob and had conversations with him. One of our youth member gave Bob a huge hug tonight which is what Bob needs more than anything, Thank you Halle! I have spent the last couple of days with Bob trying to find him a job here in Tulia. Have not had a whole lot of luck. Bob is currently at our local Half way house. He is not there because he is currently on drugs, but it is a place he can stay and they can help him find work. Thank you to Greg Culwell for helping me with Bob and making him feel welcome. Bob did NOT really want to go here, but I told him they could help him find some work. I left him there yesterday, (Tuesday) I could tell that he was a bit scared and not sure about staying. I went this morning to check on Bob, he meet me at the door with a big smile on his face and said, "this was a good idea, i think I will be able to stay here for a while." Bob asked me to come get him to go to church tonight I did and he enjoyed it a lot.

This whole thing has really opened my eyes to my blessings. I believe that God has put Bob in my life, to help me open my eyes to a lot of things. Bob tells me all the time, "thanks for helping me," but really Bob has maybe helped me more than I have helped him, and for that I thank him. The other thing about this story, I am remined about Jesus telling us to become like little children. Phillip is not a little child, he is a teenager, actually he did something that most adults would not have done. He saw Bob as having a future, he did not judge him, he loved him and was a friend to him. Sometimes as adults, we see people like Bob and we look the other way, and judge them. One of the things that Bob told me was that the last several days has been the best days that he has had in a long time, "I got to sleep in a bed, take a shower, eat a real meal it was paradise." This real meal was from Sonic, I am so spoiled, I have never thought about Sonic being a real meal. The future is bright for Bob I believe, Phillip has planted the seed, and God will make it grow. I ask for your prayers for Bob, I will keep you updated about what is going on with him.

3 comments:

Liss and MOMMY said...

Wow from me and Wow from Cody!

Anonymous said...

And it was a pleasure to have Bob sit at our table during potluck this past Sunday!
Thank you, Matt, for this story and for being you!

Sandi

Anonymous said...

Matt, Thanks for being a help for Bob and helping him "giving Phillip the pat on the back". I pray we won't let Phillip, Bob, or God down, on any opportunities that come our way.