Monday, February 16, 2009

Memories


A few weeks ago I joined Facebook, I am not sure why I decided to make this leap, when it comes to technology it seems that I look at it and go Duhhh. I am still trying to figure out everything on my blackberry that I have had for a year now, I got a new laptop at Christmas and it gets the best of me at times, although it is really cool, and I love saying "I have a Lap top, see I am not even sure how to spell it. Anyway, I think that I am hooked to Facebook. It is amazing the people that I have found that I know and that I went to school with. It has been fun finding out what everyone is doing that I went to High School with. It has brought back some great memories. I went to school in a small town, smaller than Tulia even. We were all very close and you knew everyone. Some of these people I have not seen or heard from since we graduated or since some of them graduated a few years ahead of me. We had some great times and some of the times I would probably just like to forget. I have changed so much over the years, not just physically but spiritually. I guess maybe I have finally grown up. As I reflect on some of the memories I am so happy that God let me be a part of alot of these people lives. Some of the memories that connecting with some of these people on Facebook are:
  1. One of the greatest memories that I have is how close our Church congregation was where I was raised. I remember that EVERY Sunday after morning services we were always going to someones home to eat the noon meal or someone was coming to our home to eat. The adults would talk about all sorts of stuff and us kids would just be kids and play and have a ball. The really cool thing was that it was a real closeness and a real love for each other, it did not matter who did what, or who had what, everyone loved everyone and everyone had a great relationship with everyone. When I got older and Cheryl and I married, we lived in Bovina for awhile and the closeness that we had with other couples at our Chruch was awesome. We go back there every once in a while, and we still feel that closeness with those who are still there, and it is really refreshing. I miss this so much.

2) One memory is living on the farm. Dad farmed North of Bovina until I was in about the 6Th grade. I did not realize then, but I loved living on the farm. I recently found our neighbor that lived down the road from us on Facebook. It was really cool to see his picture and think about the times that we had as kids. He was several years older than me and he had a brother that was older than him. I remember riding the bus to school, and being scared to get on because they always picked on me and thumped me on the head. They drove me and the bus driver crazy. They would climb out the windows when we got to the school. Funny, I remember as much as they picked on me, I always looked forward to them coming to the house.

It also brings back the times that I played B-ball in the drive way for hours. Dad got me the goal and we buried it in the ground. I still have the picture of dads John Deer tractor pulled up against the goal to keep it still until the cement dried and me in the drive way with my b-ball ready to try it out. I remember the time that we were working cattle in the lots, I was just a boy. I got scared of all the cows in the pen and climbed up on a panel to get away from them and the panel falling on me and knocking me out. To this day I remember waking up in my dads arms as he carried me to the house, at the time I woke up he was carrying me through the line of trees beside our house where I would always play with my toy tractors and cars. I had a concussion and spent several days in the hospital. That's where I got my stuffed Monkey "Snubby," and a "Mr. Potato Head." There was another boy in the room with me, just recently I found out that he owns a furniture and flooring store in Hereford.

The farm brings back memories of our pets, since we just got a dog here at the Howell House. My cat ribbons, that use to sleep on the pillow above my head, and lick my burr hair cut. Mom said she thought that I was one of her kittens. My dog "DOT", a bird dog. I would watch him run in dad's wheat Field and hunt. You could not see him because the wheat was so tall, the only time you could see him was when he would jump up above the wheat to see where he was. Rusty, our cow dog. He loved to follow Dot around and learn the In's and outs of being a farm dog. They were great dogs together. I remember Dad getting so mad at them when they would get hot during the summer and jump into the irrigation ditch to cool off and take a bath. I miss them.

3) I remember moving to town and thinking wow this will be so much better than the farm. I can be closer to my friends now. Being in JR High this was important. I remember riding my bike every where. I remember how important B-ball became as I got older. I would play in the neighbors drive way until after dark. As I got older a good Friend of mine a couple of houses down would come and we would shoot hoops together. Her and I would talk about everything under the sun, she was a good friend and we would give each other advice about who we were "dating" or who we wanted to "date." Important things like that! I have yet to find her on Facebook, I talk to her husband every now and again, who is also from my home town and was a friend of mine, he owns the car wash here in Tulia, small world.

Then there was the "Spectrum." The spectrum was a basketball court behind my house. It was built by myself and a friend of mine that was older than me. I was a Freshman, he was a Senior. It was in a dirt lot behind my house. With some help of a local maintainer (road grader) he graded off a court for us. We buried two goals at each end. The thing was that we buried those goals where the basket was only 8 foot off the ground. A dirt court, hard as a rock mind you, 8 foot goals at each end, the "Spectrum" was born, it was SLAM TIME!! Most everyone could dunk it at the spectrum, wow the games that we had, it got wild at times. That friend that helped me build the spectrum, is now owner of the pharmacy in Dimmitt. Times at the spectrum will never be forgotten.

Town life was good for me all through High School. I remember getting my first pickup. A 78 Chevy, I thought I was the coolest dude in town. Dad still has that old 78 Chevy, he uses it at the farm in Dimmitt. I know that I had to have put 2,000000 miles on it. The sun roof I put in it is still there, but dad says it leaks when it rains. I remember dragging main in that truck, with the stereo blasting and it loaded with all my friends. That truck and I had some times together, if it could only talk. Well maybe its best it can't talk, since dad still drives it around the farm some. The best thing about that old truck is that I meet my wonderful wife while in it. It took Cheryl and I on our first date. I have a new, updated model pickup now, but it will never have the memories that the old 78 Chevy has.

4) High School basketball and Football. I still remember the times of coming onto the field and onto the court, with my teammates and my friends. I did not know then, but I do now how special that time was, and how fast it all went. Football was not that good to us during most of my High School times, or maybe we were not that good to Football. We went through so many coaches, it was a hard time each Football season, but we were together on the field each Friday night, and that was the important thing. I did not play Football my Senior year, too long of a story to tell why here, and this blog is getting long. Basketball was more my sport I guess, I loved it then and I still do today. Oh if only I knew then what I know now! I have not talked to our High School Coach in a while, but I know where he is and pray that he and his family is doing well. He is one of the great influences in my life, he holds a special place in my life, thanks Coach Lanham for the direction you gave me, wish we could do it all over again. We did well in B-ball, never won state or anything but did well. Our girls team was really good my JR. and Senior year. I have reconnected with some of them on Facebook. Also some of the guys that I played with. One in particular has two kids, one girl and one boy both play for Shallowater and are doing really good, and I have connected with their dad through Facebook. I remember the games that we would have at the goal down the street on Sunday afternoons. I always played for the Lakers and my friend always played for the Celtics, the games we had were almost as good as the real teams that played during that time.

It's good to think back and remember the times that I had growing up. Facebook has helped me do that. To all of my friends from childhood, I am glad that we have been able to reconnect and I thank God for each of you. I thank God for the memories and the life that I lived. A lot of the things I would like to forget, but all of these memories and the path's that I took growing up has lead me to where I am today. That path lead me to my wife and to my children, and to where I am today. Thank you God for all of it.

No comments: